Nowadays, with the desire to look slim and fit, most people can apply diet programs that may threaten their health with the information they get from friends and the internet. One of the most prominent diets is the high protein low carbohydrate ketogenic diet!
The ketogenic diet is becoming increasingly widespread and the wrong way to know the correct ketogenic diet, we will tell you the advantages and disadvantages of ketogenic diet, who should avoid this diet.
As with any diet, if you decide to start this diet, you should first consult a doctor.
Found as a way to reduce epilepsy attacks
Dr. Ketrogenic diet for the first time recommended. Russel Wilder used this diet in 1921 to treat epilepsy attacks in children. At the end of the studies, 60 percent of the pediatric patients participating in the study showed improvement or a decrease in the course of attacks. Similar results were obtained in the studies carried out since those years. In fact, the main starting point of the ketogenic diet is to reduce epilepsy attacks in pediatric patients.
Ketogenic Diet contains High fat, Low carb
In fact, while the actual ketogenic diet increases the fat consumed daily, the average protein and low carbohydrates are consumed. In order for the body to experience metabolic events, a high percentage of fat must be consumed. Of course, these oils are healthy fats, unroasted nuts, almonds or walnuts, or olives, olive oil, avocado, salmon, eggs, such as food is important to get. But nowadays, ketogenic diet is understood as low carb high protein.
You need to pay attention to these nutrients
Foods you can consume in the ketogenic diet: Meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, greens, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, etc. low-carb vegetables.
Foods that should be avoided in ketogenic diet: All kinds of foods containing sugar and sugar, root vegetables with high starch (potatoes, carrots, etc.), cereals (all kinds of rice, corn, bread, etc.), fruits.
Pay attention to these warnings in the ketogenic diet!
- The person may cause fatigue, weakness, headache and bad breath.
- Low-fiber and high protein diet can cause constipation problems.
- Inadequate fluid intake during the diet as a result of dehydration of the body may cause many side effects such as muscle cramps and rhythm disturbances in the heart.
- Loss of vitamins and minerals may occur as a result of the consumption of fruit and cereal groups, the immune system weakens and the frequency of illnesses may increase.
- The longest studies on ketogenic diet are 6 months old and the results of long-term ketogenic diet are still unknown. Some studies show that long-term health problems such as kidney stone and gallstone formation, increased uric acid and calcification may occur.
- The expert should be consulted before the ketogenic diet is started. Coordinated teamwork between an endocrinologist, nutritionist, psychologist and exercise physiologist involved in this diet is important.
- Clinical and biochemical findings should be checked continuously after ketogenic diet is started; regular blood and urine tests should be done.
- Elderly, children, pregnant women, breastfeeders, those taking insulin therapy and those with a previous metabolic disease should avoid this diet.
Image Sources : Pixabay, Unsplash
Latest posts by Carla Rodrigues (see all)
- If you start your day with these 5 nutrients you can lose weight more easily - November 26, 2019
- 6 broccoli recipes to help you make peace with broccoli - November 26, 2019
- Can you lose weight by eating fat? - November 19, 2019